There are so many good luggage brands out there that sometimes, it is just hard to choose. As one said, too much choice makes the choice impossible. It will take tons of time and effort to research the qualities and features of every brand, to make sure they are compatible with your own needs, plus keeping in mind the airline’s requirements – all these aspects make one’s head spinnings.
However, no worries now! You are here, which means you can scroll conveniently through our best luggage brands list, read the comparison quickly, and choose without wasting your time on research around the web! Check out what are the top choices of best luggage 2019 today.
TOP 10 luggage brands
- American Tourister
TOP 10 suitcases to buy
- Samsonite Omni Expandable Hardside Luggage with Spinner Wheels
- Coolife Luggage Expandable Suitcase PC+ABS 3 Piece Set with TSA Lock Spinner 20in24in28in
- Samsonite Winfield 2 Hardside Luggage with Spinner Wheels
- Samsonite Winfield 2 Hardside Luggage with Spinner Wheels
- Coolife Luggage 3 Piece Set Suitcase Expandable TSA lock pinner softshell
- AmazonBasics 3 Piece Softside Carry-On Spinner Luggage Suitcase Set – Black
- Coolife Luggage 3 Piece Set Suitcase Spinner Softshell lightweight (blue+sliver)
- AmazonBasics Hardside Spinner Luggage – 20-Inch, Carry-On
- Samsonite Centric Expandable Hardside Luggage with Spinner Wheels
- Caribbean Joe Castaway 4-Piece Spinner Luggage Set (Chocolate)
Best Luggage Offers
Gone are the days when people could choose between cheap and low quality luggage, and expensive and high quality best luggages. Today, we can opt for any design, level of quality, and any budget. This makes comparison more complicated, of course, but for this, reviews are to the rescue. Let’s go through every popular brand reviewed luggage to see what they have to offer.
This is an extremely variable brand offering all types of luggage soft and hard, for adults and kids, and you can find almost any color. Even if you want a Disney bag, they will have it. This company is perfect for those who does not travel very often.
American Tourist has over 15 luggage collections:
- 4 Kix
- Belle Voyage
- Star Wars
- Stratum XLT
Price range: $15 – $200
This is a very old brand existing on the market for more than 100 years. It sells all kinds of bags, with variable sizes and design. One of the best features is that the design includes lower center of gravity and other modern features that make handling a bigger bag easier.
- a wide range of designs
- useful and handy features
- popular luggage
- conservative style
- higher than average budget
This is a young company which, though, offers best quality suitcases design plus extremely well-thought-out customer service. You can choose from a huge range of models, including different materials from plastic to aluminum, and get a lifelong guarantee for every product.
- cool luggage design
- no questions asked return policy
- life-long guarantee
- can be pricy
This company is an all-time favourite of all crew members who travels a lot. These luggage bags are durable, dirt resistant, plus show seamless performance over the years. You can use them as often as you want, in pretty harsh conditions, and yet have no worries about your things packaged.
- very durable
- price is adequate
- wide range of products
- gloomy and conservative design
- easy to mistake someone else’s bag for yours
This company has some innovative designs, both inside and outside of their luggage, and you will enjoy the ergonomics of it when travelling. One of the best features is high quality zippers, locks, and handles. The bags also come in various forms and colors.
- very user-friendly
- cool looking bags
- even bigger suitcases are very lightweight
- price is higher than average
- the suitcases are so cool you won’t want to give them away to the airplane’s cargo
This brand is mostly the younger generation’s favourite, because it makes everything from smaller sports bags to travel backpacks. Dakine is known for combination of decent design, decent quality, and adequate price. You can find almost anything you want.
- bags come in all kinds of forms and designs
- very affordable
- the design is more sportive and lacks elegance
- not suitable for frequent travelling
AmazonBasics offers different bags and suitcases for comfortable travelling and for adequate budget. The products are available in various forms, from soft and hard suitcases, to backpacks, and have convenient features necessary for worry-free travel.
- standard user-friendly design
- no locks on suitcases
One of the most innovative top luggage companies in terms of customer service, Tumi has high quality bags that come in different wear-proof materials. Plus, you get a bunch of other cool features, like lost luggage tracking, extra bags added, and onsite repairs. The price is higher than average, but the products are worthy of every buck.
- stylish design
- additional customer services
- you can order a monogram for your bag
- more expensive than average brand
This is one of the oldest quality luggage brands in the industry, making suitcases since 1877, and reminder of their history is their new tagline. This brand takes the classic and luxury niches, offering some glamorous bags. Their products were even features in James Bond movie.
- stylish and chic
- quality proven by experience and reputation
- only classic and luxe niche
Another behemoth of the industry, Globe-Trotter was founded more than 100 years ago in Germany, then moved to UK and since then it was known as a company worthy of attention among such people like Queen Elizabeth and Winston Churchill. If this fact is not enough to prove the brand’s quality, than nothing will be enough.
- outstanding quality
- stylish steampunk design
- not very innovative in terms of design
- limited choice of materials
Luggage reviews are extremely useful when it comes to choosing a new bag for travelling. Besides, you probably won’t have much time to waste on this before the journey. This is especially true if the journey was not expected, or if you took your old suitcase out of the closet two days before the flight and found out it is just not functional anymore. So, buying a new one can actually be stressful if you are not sure what exactly to look for.
Luckily, there are suitcases reviews of the best brands of luggage, luggage types, and more. These best luggage brands reviews are created with no other purpose but to make your life easier. When we make best luggage reviews and luggage ratings on bags and suitcases, there are several criteria we always check. You should probably be aware of those, as well.
- Design – design is not only beauty of the suitcase or bad, and this is not only style. While style is important, and you obviously do not want a sportive bag if elegance is your middle name, but there is more to design than these two aspects. What we look for is whether the bag – or brand – is user-friendly, and has all the features necessary for modern travelling.
- Quality – quality includes everything, from material of the outer layer, to material of the inner layer, to pockets, to handles, to zippers, and to locks. If the handle is telescopic, and its angle is a bit more ergonomic – this is also the benefit of design. Just several aspects to keep in mind.
- Warranty – perhaps no comments are needed here. It does not matter whether you travel every week or twice a year. Of course you do not want your suitcase to fall into pieces if you need it every week. However, taking a suitcase you bought last season out of the closet to find out its outer layer of material is unstuck from the frame is not a nice thing. Getting at least two years warranty is a must for every average-budget bag.
- Best luggage prices – while price itself is not a single marker of quality, what we check is correlation of features offered, and price claimed for the product. Moreover, you can always find a very decent quality for lower price if you do not pay extra for the name of the brand.
Luggage Buying Guide
There is always better to decide exactly what you want from your suitcase or bag, to be able to define your priorities when choosing a new one. If you travel often and do not take many belongings with you, maybe you need a smaller and soft-sided bag? Or, if you travel with a dozen of kids, maybe you need two big four-wheel hard-sided bags that could contain all the children stuff plus a small elephant? Today, you can buy anything – just decide what you need.
Best Luggage Brands
How to choose luggage? If you would like to choose basing on the brand, then you should be aware what companies are currently on the top of the market. Check this list out:
- Away – a bit pricy, but offers modern design and materials
- Samsonite – old, conservative, and reliable
- Delsey – one of the old luggage top brands, expanding its product lines more and more depending on the needs of the market
- Tumi – innovative, perfect customer service, additional features
- American Tourister – affordable, variable and fun design
- Travelpro – middle range of the price, durable, and conservative
- Rimowa – one of the leaders in aluminum suitcases, today this is premium-class brand
- Eagle Creek – practical items with lifetime warranty, suitable for hiking
- Hartmann – very old brand, reputable, and stylish
- Calpak – high quality and very stylish items for travelling
- Ricardo Beverly Hills – modern and elegant collections, both hard and soft
- London Fog – not only luggage items, but also products for everyday use
- Victorinox – functionality and style are the the first and the middle names of the brand
- Louis Vuitton – super stylish, trendy luggage, and chic designs for travel bags and suitcases
To choose properly, and avoid wasting money on stuff you eventually won’t be able to use, learn what types of luggages are there. This knowledge will also allow you to make head or tail of any review and product description. You will be able to assess the item depending on the expectations you personally have about its functionality.
So, here are the types you will most probably meet:
- Softside – suitcases or bags with soft sides. They can be with metal or plastic frame, or without one. The benefit of such items is that you can pack and extra outfit there if you need to, and squeeze more into one bag. On the other hand, they are less protective of your stuff, and are prone to accidental ripping. But they are lightweight and easy to store.
- Hardside – good for protection of your stuff, you can rest assured that nothing gets squeezed or ripped, plus such items are usually scratch-proof. However, they are heavier, and need more space for storage. And you won’t be able to pack more than the bag can take.
- Briefs – briefcases are small suitcases without wheels and with short handles. They usually have soft sides and more pockets on the outer surfaces.
- Checked – these are check in suitcases that go into the airplane’s cargo and should have locks and proper zippers to avoid unzipping, or things falling out or being stolen.
- Handbags – convenient bags for travelling, big enough to contain your belongings, but small enough to carry in your hands
- Backpacks – many travellers’ favourite type, because they do not need to be carried in hand, or dragged behind you. Easy to carry and easy to store, backpacks are perfect for smaller number of belongings.
- Carry on luggage – properly sized bags that fit into storage shelves of the plane, or under the seat. Match the majority of airlines’ standards, do not have outer pockets, and are scratch-proof.
- Sets – convenient and stylish one-design sets of checked in cases, carry on bags, and handbags.
These are the main types of baggage out there. You may find out that you need more than one for comfortable travelling, especially if the journey is long, or if you travel with a child.
Suitcase VS Backpack?
What is the best luggage to buy? If you are wondering what type to opt for, suitcase or backpack, you should check your priorities first. If you usually take tons of stuff with you, including expensive outfits, maybe suitcase is better. Backpacks are mostly softside, and even if you are able to actually carry a big backpack on your back, this won’t end well for your wellbeing. Plus, you have to know how to put it on and take it off correctly, in order to not hurt your back. Ideally, you should have an assistant to help you.
Suitcase is a better choice, because you can leave it any time, without the need to take it off your back again and again. Plus, it protects your stuff better. Yet, if you suspect to drag it somewhere along the street (not only along the airport), than probably you should think of a backpack. Or take a taxi for sure.
Suitcases, especially large four-wheelers, are created to be used from home door to the car, from the car to the train or plane, and from plane or train to the hotel room. If you believe you will have to carry it around, this is not an option, really.
Backpacks, on the other hand, are perfect for those who does not take much stuff with them, or are strong enough to carry it all. If the backpack is smaller and you are an experienced traveller, than no luggage can be better. You have your hands free, all your things are with you and you do not risk to forget it standing somewhere.
Regardless of what type you choose – suitcase or backpack – you will need a handbag anyways, so consider a small one, to have the documents and money at hand, without needing to dive into the depths of the case searching for your purse.
How To Buy
After you decided on the main criteria like your budget, suitcase or backpack, and how many items you need, here are some buying tips for further success:
- How do you travel? – do you fly more often? travel by train? or by car? depending on your traveling habits, you can opt for the best variation. For example, you do not need a hardside suitcase if you travel by your own car in the majority of cases. A softsided bag will totally do. But if you carry suits in it, maybe you still need a framed one.
- How will you store it? – If you have enough room to store a framed hardside case, then fine, go for it. If not, perhaps look for a smaller one, or a softer one. It makes no sense to have half of the closet blocked by the suitcase.
- Wheel or no wheel? Do you feel better dragging it behind, or carrying it? Assess your travelling habits.
- How do you travel? If it is a car, measure the case to fit into the car. If this is by plane, then make sure the luggage meets the standards.
- If you would like to even buy online, it makes sense to visit luggage store in the shopping mall when you are around, and hold several items, wheel them around and see the interior. Description of the features on the web is one thing, and a real item in your hands is another thing.
- Make sure the bag itself does not weigh like an elephant. It will rip your hands off eventually, and you may have trouble checking it in at the airport.
- Check zippers. You want some quality ones, because, unless you have a bag with a lock, zipper is all that keeps your things inside.
Best Place to Buy
Where to buy luggage? Speaking about the best place to buy luggage, well, it depends. Some people definitely like to go to the store and hold the item, zip and unzip it, entertain themselves with the locks, smell the material and stuff. others prefer to buy remotely via online shops and have their stuff delivered to their front door the next day. However, there are nuances.
When we are talking best brand suitcases, especially of the middle class and higher, you can totally buy online only looking at the features of things. if you expect to lay your hands on the bag only to transport it from your door to the car and then to the check in, buying such suitcase remotely is totally okay.
Yet, the story is different with backpacks. The point is, you have to feel comfortable with the backpack on. Even if you choose one for your height and your waist and shoulder width, you may still find yourself uncomfortable and unable to carry the backpack for longer periods of time. Backpacks should always be tried on, better with some weight inside, at all times, to provide the best choice. You can try the item on in the store, and then buy it online at best luggage sites cheaper due to best deals for luggage. Check best price on luggage online before buying offline.
Buying a bag is not that easy, but it is not rocket science. Just make sure you follow our buying guide, and opt for a reliable brand. Assess your needs realistically, and opt for the product that meets your expectations.
Look for last season collections.
Jump onto big selling sites to have the widest choice possible.
That depends. It is always better to prepare to your journey beforehand.